Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Where are my Building Blocks?

I want to change the world.

I want to change the world because I don't like the world I live in. I think the world can be changed; it should be changed. And I've read a lot about changing yourself first, doing little things to do great things, and all of that - but I've never done it. I live in a small (for the U.S.) 12' x 24' space and I watch Lost and play video games and write role-playing game scenarios that I may never run (I'm a pen-and-paper gamer).

So I'm looking at this list of 33 innovation tips / rules for design / hints for making the world better. And I'm trying to pick one to start with. One to focus on.

It is very difficult for me to choose one of these Secrets of Social Innovation as my favorite. Coming at the list "cold," it isn't a very easy group of concepts to get my head around. My brain wants them all to line up in a nice row and look pretty; but they don't. Coming from different authors, from different notions of what has to be done, from different perspectives - at least they're grouped nicely.

But I'm over analyzing this thing; I'll take each one at face value.

The most obvious choices, based on my background and experience, would be Think Creatively, Think and Act Like a Child, Think and Act BIG, and Make it Inexpensive.

Think Creatively is the one that draws the most on my soul. As an artist, I feel like it's my lot in life to stand here on this blank canvas and use whatever I can find lying around to create some new thing. I've never applied that to anything other than comic book art and role-playing games before. It feels like a challenge.

The Agent of Change standing behind me, goading me to prove myself. Do something, anything, other than drawing pictures no one will see and writing games no one will play. Get up go out and create something. And I hit my first roadblock.

What can I create? What can I do? How the hell am I going to change anything?

I have an idea forming in my rotten little mind. I know it's brilliant. I know it has the potential to be amazing. I know I can reach a million people who might otherwise never give this a second glance. I think I can do it fairly cheap, I think I can do it right, I even think it's something I can follow through on and maintain well into my golden years if necessary. I just don't know the details of what it is. I don't even know if I'm even the guy who should be doing it. Screw it. Think and Act BIG, right?

It's my ball, I'll run with it. I might be over-stepping the original scope of this post; but eff that. It's time to let the Glorious Monster off his chain. Time to do some damage!

You want me to think creatively? Think and Act Big, unfettered and unhindered like the mind of a Child? You got it.

No comments:

98%

Free Online Dating from JustSayHi

88% Geek