Thursday, March 4, 2010

Of Nightmares and Dreams

Wherein the Dave discusses roleplaying, music, and the idea that it might be a good time to start writing again.

I was inspired by this image (at right) - wich is from some deviant's* idea of what the TARDIS might look like within its own microverse (the outside of what's inside the Police Box) - to begin work on a World of Darkness Campaign combining elements of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos with Doctor Who.

The basic idea (barring any spoilers) is that the Player Characters - in the course of investigating (or running from) some weird shit - discover an abandoned TARDIS. As to what's going on within the TARDIS, why the PCs can get into it, and what unfathomable terrors lurk beyond Time and Space? I'll leave that to your imagination.

The Campaign is tentatively going to be called "the Horror from Out of Time."

*You can look at ~Clone-Artist's deviantART gallery here.



I was born in 1973. I was pretty stoked to learn that Queen's debut album came out that same year (as did Aerosmith's and a few others I don't care much about).

Just for the hell of it, and because I wanna, here are my top 5 albums from the year I was born.

  1. Queen - Queen :: Now, I didn't listen to Queen in 1973. I have no idea if I listened to Any music in 1973; but I didn't discover Queen until the 80's (and organized sports) when I started hearing songs like "We Are the Champions" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" - you know, the songs everyone knows. With the advent of the internet, however (and the awesomery that is in no way actually "piracy." I've become a huge fan of Queen. "Keep Yourself Alive" might be everyone's favorite from this album; but I also really like "Great King Rat" and "Night Comes Down."
  2. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd :: This list is mostly a nostalgia/ anecdotal list or else Dark Side of the Moon would be first. I didn't discover Pink Floyd until my brother, Chris introduced me to the Wall; and I didn't find out about Dark Side of the Moon until I heard about the whole Dark Side of the Rainbow thing; and that was awesome. "Breathe, Money, Us and Them," there are way to many good songs on this album for it not to be number one; but I just - for some ungodly reason - don't listen to it as often as I listen to Queen.
  3. Billion Dollar Babies - Alice Cooper :: I don't think of myself as having belonged to any high-school click; but - as much as I regret it - I probably fell somewhere between Metalhead and Redneck. Though I'm not a fan now - that's not true, I just don't listen to it any more - Billion Dollar Babies is the album on this list that I've listened to most. "Billion Dollar Babies, No More Mister Nice Guy, Sick Things, Mary Ann." God! Now I have to download this album again. Pirate Bay, here I come. brb.
  4. Back. Pat Garret & Billy the Kid - Bob Dylan :: My Mom & Dad had an extensive record collection. Highway 61 Revisited was among those albums and I listened to Pat Garret & Billy the Kid because I figured my Dad liked it. At first it was kind of a let down (aside from "Knockin' of Heaven's Door," of course), but then I saw the movie. I really liked it (It was one of the first Westerns I actually paid attention to - I was not a fan of the genre). James Coburn is awesome.

  5. Aerosmith - Aerosmith :: I found out about Aerosmith in the late 80's with Permanent Vacation and Pump. I found out how old they were one afternoon when I got into the car with mom and put Pump into the tape deck. Mom said, "is that Aerosmith?" And I was completely blown away by two things: 1. How cool my mother was for liking a band that was actually cool, 2. How little I knew about any music after 1968 (thanks to my parent's totally awesome Classic Music collection).



On the writing front - I haven't been. That's disappointing. Brain Squids. I'm working in a dead-end job that harbors only the slightest fractions of joy just so that I can a) have the time to write, and b) so that I'll have some motivation to do so. Most of the writers whose blogs and Twitter accounts I follow have given up things like Television and Video Games. I've already moved these things in my life to the back-burner - and the majority of my gaming time is spent at my brother's house anyway; I hardly ever watch television now.


If only I could curtail my internetting. By the way, I've been catching up on Chuck; Kristen Kruek is cute as a button. She's no Jamie Eason; but I guess there's a reason she was "the Girl Next Store" in Smallville.



My plan is to pick up my novel tomorrow morning. Also look for something here in the next couple days - probably an Electroverse Update, though I'll be porting all of my previously published short fiction to this blog as I shut down all the things (MySpace, LiveJournal, etc) I no longer pay attention to.

No comments:

98%

Free Online Dating from JustSayHi

88% Geek