Saturday, July 4, 2009

On Writing & the General Failure of a Man out of his Element

I recently overcame what I considered to be a major obstacle in the writing of the Grimm book; and I was surprised at how easily that allowed me (today) to slide right back into the flow of the story.

Basically, I sat down with a blank sheet of paper and started thinking about all the ways I thought the story was failing, and what I would need to do to get around (or plow through) those shortcomings. It, admittedly, began with a glimmer of an idea I had while working; but once I started, it flowed out of me like - well, that's kind of crass.

It is entirely plausible that I am back on track and the first book (that I'm going to publish) should be ready to farm out to publishers (and agents?) before Halloween. Maybe a lot sooner.



In other news: a recent personality profile I was labeled, The Observer - hit the nail on the head in new (and somewhat sobering) ways:

It's possible that you have tremendous knowledge, gained through the analysis of books, movies, games, and scientific research. You probably know far more than men who are more successful with women, but you can't seem to find opportunities to display your intellect and talent. One of your major obstacles is your inability to take action, which prevents you from accomplishing your social goals.

You can occasionally be found at the back of a social event clutching your drink and perhaps looking busy. You sometimes feel afraid to get out on the dance floor, or even to speak to strangers. You may watch your friends cavort on tables or drink body shots with women while you quietly nurse your drink. Often, you find yourself standing on the sidelines watching others have all the fun.

Maybe there are times when you can't even muster the courage to get out of the house just for the opportunity to meet that special someone. You are generally considered shy. Fear of rejection and validation keep you in your invisible Plexiglas box. You have a strong desire to be liked and accepted by others, but you have a tendency to not put your self on the line, thus closing your self off to the very thing you so desperately seek.

There you are, sitting on a park bench as life passes you by. Your mind races constantly measuring the temperature of the situation to see if it's OK yet to dive in and take a social swim. Meanwhile, as you are sitting there, at least a dozen beautiful opportunities pass you by. At least you get to admire their backsides. As Grace Hopper said, "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for." Time to start living your life to the fullest.

I don't feel, now, as cooped-up inside as - say - a year ago; but it's still the starting point. I'm amazed when I evaluate my life how far I went, and how far I've fallen. It would be depressing if I wasn't learning how discomfort causes us to act.

No comments:

98%

Free Online Dating from JustSayHi

88% Geek